"Crisp on the outside and chewy in the centre, these are additively good and very easy." Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, The Guardian February 2011. The amaretti are also gluten free. Makes 15 to 20 biscuits.
180g Tropical Wholefoods Fairtrade Apricot Kernels
100g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
tsp almond extract
1 pinch salt
2 egg whites
1 tbsp honey
50g flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3.
2. Grind the Tropical Wholefoods Fairtrade Apricot Kernels in an electric grinder to a powder.
3. In a bowl, mix together the ground kernels, caster sugar, lemon zest, almond extract and salt. Rub everything together with your fingertips to disperse the zest and extract evenly.
4. Whisk the egg whites and honey until firm peaks form. With a large metal spoon, gently fold the meringue into the apricot kernel and sugar mix, to get a soft, malleable paste.
5. With your hands, roll the paste into 20g rounds. Flatten them a little, roll in a plate of flaked almonds to cover, then roll in plenty of icing sugar.
6. Put on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 14 to 18 minutes. They should turn a very light golden colour, but stay relatively pale and chewy in the centre. Leave to cool completely before storing in a sealed jar or tin.