These delicious biscuits are a doddle to make and are great to serve with drinks, or to eat as a mid-afternoon snack. You can make the biscuit dough several days in advance and keep in the fridge. Or you can freeze the dough to use much later.
Makes approx. 30 biscuits.
150g Fairtrade apricot kernels
175g unsalted butter, softened
175g grated strong cheddar
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 small clove garlic, crushed to a paste
175 plain flour
2 tbsp ice-cold water
1. Grind the apricot kernels to a powder in an electric grinder.
2. Roughly chop the butter and beat it with the cheddar, chilli flakes, salt, paprika and garlic until smooth. Use a food processor or do it by hand.
3. Add the flour and water, work everything into a smooth, soft dough, and then stir in the ground apricot kernels.
4. Spoon the mixture on to a sheet of nonstick baking paper, roll it into a cylinder about 4cm thick and 30 cm long, then chill for a couple of hours to use on the day - or freeze it for later.
5. To bake, heat the oven to 180C (fan assisted 160C)/350F/gas mark 4.
6. Cut the dough cylinder into cm thick slices and place them a few centimetres apart on a lined baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden.