Inspired by rice served at traditional Persian weddings, this beautiful dish is a wonderful accompaniment to any curry or dahl.
Enough for 8 people.
400g Fairtrade basmati rice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 shallot or small onion finely chopped
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 heaped tsp ground turmeric
1 heaped tsp green cardamom pods
3 strips of lime zest
600 ml chicken or vegetable stock
50g Tropical Wholefoods Fairtrade Apricot Kernels
A generous pinch of saffron
1. Rinse the rice in several changes of water until the water runs clear.
2. Warm the oil in a heavy pan, and fry the shallot or onion until golden, for about 2 minutes.
3. Crush cardamom pods and extract the seeds. Add cinnamon, turmeric and cardamom seeds to the shallot or onion and fry for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the rice along with the lime zest, stock and dried fruit to the pan.
5. Bring to the boil, turn heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes, covered with a lid.
6. Dry fry the apricot kernels being careful not to burn them. Cool on a cold plate
7. Melt the butter in a small pan, and when it's almost liquid, mix in the saffron.
8. After 10 minutes, check to see if the rice is ready. If the grains are tender and there is virtually no liquid left at the bottom, fluff gently with a fork, adding in the saffron butter at the same time.
9. Serve with the apricot kernels scattered on top.